Fracture of neck of Femur
What is the treatment for the fracture of neck of femur? What may be the complications that arise from the treatment?
If the fracture is undisplaced then the line of management would be either:
- Plaster and bed rest for 8-12weeks
- Multiple screws (multiple cancellous screws or dynamic hip screw or multiple knowle's pins or moore's pins (used in children)
If the fracture is displaced and age of pt 60yrs:
- Hemiarthoplasty ( austin moore prothesis)
- Total hip replacement (entire head of femur with acetabulum cavity replaced)
- Pauwel's osteotomy for non union fracture- lateral wedge resection with fixation with double angle blade plate.
Complications of fracture neck femur:
- Non union
- Avascular necrosis of femur head
- Delayed union
Reference: J. Maheshwari. Injuries Around Hip: Fracture of Neck of Femur. Essential Orthopedics. India: JAYPEE Brothers Medical Publisher (P) LTD; 2011:125